查看原文
其他

【VOA慢速】有时帮忙“一个电话就到”

18424 爱语吧英语
2024-09-05

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
现在是VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

On today's show we talk about some expressions that deal with an important device in our lives - our phones.
在今天的节目中,我们要讨论一些与我们生活中重要设备——手机——有关的表达。

With a smartphone, we can connect to the world.
有了智能手机,我们就可以与世界连通。

In fact, we can say smartphones give us the world at our fingertips.
事实上,我们可以说智能手机让世界触手可及。

Needless to say, we use phones to stay in contact with the people in our lives.
不用说,我们使用手机与生活中的人保持联系。

We use them to reach out to our friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers.
我们使用它们来联系我们的朋友、家人、邻居和同事。

So, when we tell someone that we are just a phone call away, what we are really telling them is that we are available.
因此,当我们告诉某人“我们一个电话就到”时,我们真正要告诉他们的是:我们有空。

We are there for them.
我们就在他们身边。

We often use this expression to offer help to someone who is in a difficult situation or just in need of a friendly voice.
我们经常用这个表达来为处于困难境地或只是需要友善声音的人提供帮助。

For example, let's say my friend is having a hard time with an advanced English course.
例如,假设我的朋友在高级英语课程上遇到困难。

The assignments are difficult, the material is hard to understand, and his teacher has not been answering his emails.
作业很难,材料很难理解,他的老师一直没有回复他的电子邮件。

I can say to him, "Look, if you ever need help, I'm just a phone call away.
我可以对他说:“听着,如果你需要帮助,我一个电话就到。

Call anytime!"
随时打电话!”

It's good to be available to some people some of the time.
在某些时候某些人有空是件好事。

But maybe not all the time.
但也许不是一直如此。

We all have someone in our lives who contacts us too much.
在我们的生活中,总有人与我们联系得太多。

They may blow up our phones with a flood of calls and text messages.
他们可能会用大量的电话和短信轰炸我们的手机。

When your phone blows up, someone is trying to contact you repeatedly.
当你的手机遭遇”轰炸“时,有人在反复尝试联系你。

Here's an example.
下面是一个例子。

Let's say your neighbor, Jana, is having trouble with another neighbor, Jake.
假设你的邻居贾娜和另一位邻居杰克有矛盾。

And you are in the middle of it.
而你夹在中间。

They are both blowing up your phone with calls and texts about their disagreement.
他们都在用电话和短信来轰炸你的手机,诉说他们之间的分歧。

You can tell them, "Hold the phone!
你可以告诉他们:“停!

Just stop!
打住!

Talk to each other and work out your problems because I've had enough."
你俩聊,把你们之间的问题解决掉,因为我已经受够了。

The expression hold the phone is a way to say "wait" or "stop".
“hold the phone”这个表达是传达“等一下”或“打住”这一含义的一种方式。

We use it when we hear something surprising or when we have had enough of a situation.
当我们听到令人惊讶的事情或我们受够了某种情况时,我们就会使用这个表达。

And it doesn't have to be about phone calls or texts.
而且它不一定是和电话或短信有关。

For example, let's say a friend tells me that my favorite singer is coming to town.
例如,假设一位朋友告诉我,我最喜欢的歌手要来镇上。

I can't believe it!
我简直不敢相信!

So, I can say, "Hold the phone!
所以,我可以说:“等一下!

Are you serious?"
你是认真的吗?”

It's like saying, "Hold on a minute!"
它就像在表达:“Hold on a minute!”

Now, let's go back to your arguing neighbors, Jana and Jake.
现在,让我们回到你争吵的邻居,贾娜和杰克身上。

Let's say they take your advice.
假设他们接受你的建议。

They are willing to work out their problems.
他们愿意解决他们之间的问题。

They try to call each other but the keep missing each other's calls.
他们试图给对方打电话,但总是错过对方的电话。

First Jana calls Jake, but he isn't available.
先是贾娜打电话给杰克,但杰克没接听到。

Then Jake calls her back, but now Jana isn't available.
然后杰克给贾娜回电话,但现在贾娜又没接听到。

They play phone tag like this for days until they finally speak to each other.
他们像这样玩手机捉人游戏(互打电话不通)好几天,直到最终彼此通上话。

Tag is a child's game.
Tag(捉人游戏)是一种儿童游戏。

One person is "it" and must chase and tag, or touch, the other children.
一个人是“捉人者”,必须追赶、触摸或触碰其他孩子。

So, phone tag is when two people try to contact each other but their calls go unanswered.
因此,手机捉人游戏是指两个人试图联系对方但他们的来电却无人接听。

At least Jake and Jana are trying to work out their problems.
至少杰克和贾娜在努力解决彼此之间的问题。

When it comes to keeping relationships happy in the neighborhood, they are not phoning it in.
当谈到保持邻里关系融洽时,他们不会敷衍了事。

When we phone it in, we don't try our best at something.
当我们敷衍了事时,我们在某件事上就没有尽力而为。

We don't give our best efforts.
我们没有尽最大的努力。

For example, some people who lose interest in their jobs might start phoning it in.
例如,一些对工作失去兴趣的人可能会开始敷衍了事。

They stop trying and do not do their best work.
他们不再努力,也没有尽力工作。

That's not the case with us here at VOA Learning English.
我们VOA慢速英语可不是这种情况。

We are not phoning it in.
我们没在敷衍了事。

We work hard every day to bring you new learning English content.
我们每天都在努力为大家带来新的英语学习内容。

And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。

Until next time, I'm Anna Matteo.
下期节目再见,安娜·马特奥为您播报。
 

长按上方二维码,扫码下载 VOA慢速APP


继续滑动看下一个
爱语吧英语
向上滑动看下一个

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存